- Autism-wandering prevention brochure
- First Responder Alert Form
- Family Wandering Emergency Plan (FWEP) Template
- Individualized Education Plan (IEP) Sample Letter
- Caregiver Check List
5) The fifth way that we can reduce the number of autistic kids drownings is the one that you probably hear about the least. Get your autistic kids swim lessons asap! These kids are drawn to water. It is a fact. Don’t let that fact scare you away from teaching your kid to swim.
My son had no fear of the water when he was younger and would just walk right in. We signed him up for special needs swim lessons at our local Y as soon as he was old enough and now I’m proud to say that I’m confident that he could tread water for HOURS if god forbid that was necessary. Get your kid swim lessons ASAP. There’s a link to that AWAARE.org site that lists all the YMCA locations in the US that offer Special Needs swim lessons. http://nationalautismassociation.org/resources/autism-safety-facts/swimming-instructions/ Sign your kid up today.