Monday, January 5, 2015
Kyle's Last Few Weeks - 3 Huge Steps Forward & 2 Weird Steps Back
Mon 8:17pm -- I'm in bed with the king as he drifts off to sleep watching the sesame DVD "Sleepytime songs & stories" for the 2097th time.
And I'm thinking about the last few days of the holiday break and his first day of school today.
And it can be summed up with that old saying "two steps forward and one step back"
That's pretty the story of a lot of kids with autism.
Although with Kyle and his brand of autism (and epilepsy) it'a usually more like
2 step forward, 5 steps back. It's been that way throughout his life.
But the last few days of the break and today's reports from school show that this months version (so far) is
3 Huge Steps forward and 2 steps back (one huge & one weird)
Here's the 3 steps forward:
1) No seizures in school today or for the last week of the break. While at least a few small ones per day in the weeks before that.
2) No naps at school today or for the last week of the break...while in the weeks before that Kyle had a cold and was very lethargic and was napping the days away...
Was he so tired due to the cold or seizures? Or a combination of both? Who the F knows? But in the days leading up to Christmas Eve he was sleeping literally 18+ hours a day. It was kinda weird.
3) His appetite is back with a vengeance! He's absolutely ravenous! I got home from work today and wifey said happily "he's eating the pasta I made for me & you... I gotta make more!"
In the weeks before his appetite was quite bad and he lost a few pounds. And in the week before Xmas when he was sick & napping so much I'd bet he barely got 500 calories down. But he is making up for lost time boy!
Here's the 2 steps backwards:
1) He's messing with his teeth a lot and picking at his front teeth a lot and has begun sucking and biting on his shirts.
This has been going on for a week now. And he's ruining his shirts. He's biting thru them! In fact one of the really nice shirts he got for Christmas now has 2-3 teeth size holes over his left breast.
Don't know where this new "habit" came from... But we're taking him to the dentist on Wednesday to try to determine if it's a teeth issue or just a stim. The dentist visit will probably be a disaster (like it usually is :) and if the doc can even get a peek inside his mouth we'll be lucky.
So, hopefully it's just a stim. And a short term one at that...
2) Out of nowhere and for no good reason he's having quite a few pee-pee accidents. He had 2 at school today. And had one a day for the last 3-4 days of the break.
He hasn't had a bad stretch like this in about 3 years or so. Why now? What does it mean?
We'll probably never know.
But I'm praying that we don't have to go back to pull-ups (man sized pull-ups :) and that we don't have to do have another weekend of intense potty training in our near future.
That's about it.
That's this months update so far...
3 pretty huge steps forward and one huge step back (the pee-pee regression) and one strange new stim to add in to his playlist.
Yes it would be nice if maybe once we could have 3 steps forward and NO steps back
But I'm an autism parent and after 11 years I know that's not possible.
So all in all I gotta say....it's so good to see my wide awake, seizure free, hungry boy. If that means he's got to eat his shirts and pee his pants I'll sign up that every day of the week!
© 2011-2016 Autism Daddy / Frank Campagna. All Rights Reserved
Autism Daddy Blog by Autism Daddy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.